Summer League Rules approved October 2016.
- Fixtures: Usually 4-5 per season, starting late May/early June, terminating in August.
- Programme: Four events - a Senior race, a Tenderfoot race, a Fun Run and Relays.
- Order of Events: Usually Senior race first, relays last. Tenderfoot and Fun Run to be between the Senior race and relays with the order decided by the host club and approximate timing communicated in advance.
- Ages: Senior Race: Anyone age 15 or over. Tenderfoot: 6-14 years inclusive. Relays: any age. Fun Run: up to 6 years.
- Age Categories: All junior age categories calculated as at 31st August of prior year, all senior and masters age categories calculated as at date of first event of each season.
- Entry Fee for Runners: £2 per Senior (15+), free for under 15 years.
- Awards: One ongoing team award, three individual awards in each age category (see list below) Scoring — see separate Scoring Guide.
- Eligible Runners: members of the clubs who are participating in the league (1st or 2nd claim). If a runner's first claim club is in the league, they must run for this club rather than a second claim club that is also in the league.
- Distance: 5 miles or 10km.
- Ages: 15 years and over at start of season (date of first event in season)
- Fee: £2.00 per runner. £1 to host club, £1 paid by all participating clubs into the Summer League account at the end of the season.
- Club Kit: All participating runners are encouraged to wear their designated club kit, particularly in the relays.
- Distance: 1500m — 2000m
- Ages: 6-14 years at 31st August prior year will score. Children aged under 6 may take part in tenderfoot race but will be included in the age 6 category. Runners aged 15+ who do not wish to run the Senior Race can also participate in the Tenderfoot and will be shown in the results but will not score points.
- Fee: Free for 6 —14 years, £2 for 15+ year runners. £1 directly to host club, £1 paid by all participating clubs into the Summer League account at the end of the season.
Recording of Results for Senior and Tenderfoot Races
- Raffle tickets are given in turn to each finisher as they cross the line.
- On finishing, a visually impaired/deaf runner and their guide both receive a raffle ticket and two times will be recorded.
- Adults participating in the Tenderfoot must be included in the results but will not score points.
- Each finisher passes the raffle ticket to their designated club results recorder.
- NB: Host clubs aim to produce accurate finishing times but, as time keepers are volunteers, participants are advised to record their own time.
- Distance: Approximately 400m
- Fee: Free
- Results: No results are recorded.
- Distance: 300m–400m
- Fee: Free
- Eligible Participants: Runners of all ages who have completed any of the other races and members of the host club who have acted as helpers or marshals.
- Runners are not permitted to run in more than one relay race per fixture.
- In the spirit of the league, spikes are not allowed.
- If required, non scoring teams of surplus mixed club runners who wish to participate can be entered in the B2 relay.
- Guest runners are not allowed to participate in the relays. See section on guests.
There are four relays as follows:
- Ladies: Team of 4
- Men: Team of 4
- B1: Team of 4
- B2: Team of
B1 and B2 relays can be run together depending on the number of teams.
- Annual Club Membership Fee: Is agreed by the affiliated clubs prior to the start of the season. The fee is the same for all clubs and needs to cover the cost of trophies, medals and engraving.
- Each club may send one or more representatives to any league meeting.
- Delegated authority: clubs delegate to their representatives the authority to appoint a treasurer, arrange each season's events, decide the award structure, set club membership and race fees for each season, decide the amount to allocate each club from central fees (usually in proportion to costs incurred), and to review and agree these rules.
- The accounts will be presented annually to the affiliated clubs.
- Senior Race: To qualify for an award, runners in each age category need to have completed at least 2 events, although awards will be based on the best 3 points scores (not times). Men and women score separately.
- Tenderfoot Race: Only one fixture needs to be completed to be eligible for awards, and awards will be based on best 3 points scores. Boys and girls score separately.
- Trophies/Medals: The first runner in each age category receives an award, 2nd and 3rd place runner in each category receive medals. Categories but not individual names are engraved.
- In the event of total score being equal (tie-breaker), positions are decided on who has the highest single points score as opposed to fastest time.
- There are no awards for Fun Runs or Relays
Participating Clubs' Responsibilities
- Before Race (Record Entries): Bring a copy of the club registration sheets for the senior race & tenderfoot races to the event. Note on the sheets all runners intending to run. Add name and date of birth for any runners not previously recorded.
- After Race (Record Results): Collect runners finishing position raffle tickets and record finishing positions on the registration sheets. Check that all runners who completed the race have a recorded finishing position. Within 24 hours, submit a copy of the club results on-line to Dropbox. Use this template file to upload results. You can leave the position column blank if someone didn't run, this means that if you have a spreadsheet of names and dates of birth you will only need to enter positions. This is a good idea because you then can't make spelling mistakes. If you cannot submit the results yourself, provide the league scorer with the original sheet or a photo of the sheet before leaving the event. Retain raffle tickets (ideally with name recorded on back) until the consolidated results have been checked.
- Relay Results: Record names of participants in each relay and their date of birth/age category as well as the club finishing position in each relay. Use this template file to upload results to Dropbox.
- Fee Payment: Pay host club £1 per adult runner in the Senior and Tenderfoot races to the host club on the day or as soon as possible after. Pay a further £1 per adult runner in all fixtures (not relays) into the Summer League account at the end of the season prior to the end of season meeting.
- League representative: Appoint a member of the club to represent the club at league meetings.
Host Clubs' Responsibilities
- Confirm date with local authorities and ensure health and safety and insurance requirements are met.
- Ensure access to toilet facilities for runners and spectators.
- Confirm to all participating clubs details of the venue, times and travel details.
- Provide a clearly marked course for all races including a start and finish line and relay 'box'.
- Provide an adequate number of marshals along the race routes.
- Provide a water station for the Senior race.
- Record finishing times in and distribute appropriate raffle tickets in the Senior and Tenderfoot Races.
- Upload finishing times to Dropbox using this template.
- Provide first-aid as required.
- Provide food and refreshments.
- The club hosting the first event of the year also make arrangements for the Annual Award Ceremony to be held at the end of the event.
- Host clubs to decide in advance whether they will allow any runners who are not members of clubs affiliated to the League to participate in any of the events, (guests are not allowed to participate in the relays).
- Although guests do not score points, they should be asked to cross the finish line, take a raffle ticket and to return it to the results recorder of the club who entered them to ensure correct and complete race results.
Age Categories and Qualifying Dates
Qualifying date: 31st of August of prior year
|M6||Boys age 6||F6||Girls age 6|
|M7||Boys age 7||F7||Girls age 7|
|M8||Boys age 8||F8||Girls age 8|
|M9||Boys age 9||F9||Girls age 9|
|M10||Boys age 10||F10||Girls age 10|
|M11||Boys age 11||F11||Girls age 11|
|M12||Boys age 12||F12||Girls age 12|
|M13||Boys age 13||F13||Girls age 13|
|M14||Boys age 14||F14||Girls age 14|
Qualifying date: Date of first event
|MU17||Men age 15-16||FU17||Women age 15-16|
|MU20||Men age 17-19||FU20||Women age 17-19|
|SM||Men age 20-39||SF||Women age 20-34|
|F35||Women age 35-39|
|M40||Men age 40-44||F40||Women age 40-44|
|M45||Men age 45-49||F45||Women age 45-49|
|M50||Men age 50-54||F50||Women age 50-54|
|M55||Men age 55-59||F55||Women age 55-59|
|M60||Men age 60-64||F60||Women age 60-64|
|M65||Men age 65-69||F65||Women age 65-69|
|M70||Men age 70-79||F70||Women age 70-79|
|M80||Men age 80+||F80||Women age 80+|